Step by step guide:
1. In this tutorial we will show you how you can get the PDF Form Field Names using PDF.co and Zapier. Our source file is an IRS Form 1040 with a total of 116 checkboxes and editboxes combined. We will get their individual names to easily reference the specific fields to fill out.
It is important to note that the PDF Form must contain editable text fields and check boxes so PDF.co
/v1/pdf/info/fields endpoint can read them.
Screenshot of IRS Form 1040 as a PDF Source File
2. First, we need to set up our Action step. Let’s choose PDF.co as the App and PDF File Information Reader as the Action Event.
3. Next, let’s configure the PDF File Information Reader.
- In the PDF URL field, enter the PDF Source File link.
- In the Extract Information About Fillable Fields From PDF Form field, select True.
4. Then, let’s send our PDF Information configuration data to PDF.co to Test & Review.
5. Terrific! We have successfully extracted the 116 Form Field Names from IRS Form 1040. You can copy the individual names when filling out the form using the PDF Filler in PDF.co. To learn how to fill out the form check out this tutorial.
Screenshot of Form Field Names Result
In this tutorial we learned how to get the PDF Form Field Names using PDF.co and Zapier.
Note: PDF.co has recently added a built-in manual tool to extract PDF Information including Form Field Names. To check it out, click on this link.